How To Get Rid Of Roaches On Your Atlanta Property
July 15, 2021
What is a place you try to avoid? Most people go out of their way to avoid dirty areas like trash heaps and sewers. Do you know who doesn't avoid these areas? Cockroaches. These problematic pests seem to seek out filth in area properties. If you are worried about roaches getting into your home, we have some information that is sure to help you out. l Here is everything you need to know about these pests, including how to get roaches off your Atlanta property.
What Roaches Live In Atlanta?
Atlanta is home to two unique species of cockroaches. We have German cockroaches, and oriental cockroaches, also referred to as "water bugs." Despite their slight differences in appearance, both of these invasive pests have a lot in common. Here are two facts about roaches you should know.
Roaches are incredibly fast for bugs their size. An adult roach can move at speeds of up to three and a half miles per hour, and, to make things worse, roaches do not need to slow down when transitioning from floors to walls to ceilings.
Roaches are resilient creatures in more ways than one. These pests can withstand 10 times more radiation than humans and 900 times their body weight in pressure. In addition, they are not affected by pest control products in the same way other pests are, making them incredibly difficult to eliminate.
Why & How Roaches Invade Properties
A cockroach only needs three things to survive: food, water, and shelter. Your home offers these pests every one of these necessities. All roaches need to do is find a way inside. These pests crawl through foundational cracks, torn window and door screens, and damaged door sweeps most of the time. Roaches will also invade homes by crawling through vents and sewer pipes.
Some Strategies To Prevent Roaches
Now that you understand why and how roaches get into area homes, we can talk about some helpful tips and tricks to keep these pests out of your living areas. Here are some prevention tips our experts recommend you start with.
- Thoroughly inspect your home's exterior foundation. Use caulk or some liquid cement to fill in any holes, gaps, or cracks you find.
- Make sure all of your exterior doors have door sweeps and that they are in good condition.
- Repair or replace damaged weatherstripping.
- Check your home's window and door screens to make sure they are rip-free.
- Reduce clutter and eliminate debris around your yard.
- Address sources of water buildup in and around your home.
- Make sure your pipes and fixtures are running properly and not leaking.
- Use a dehumidifier in your kitchen, crawl space, and other humid areas around your home.
- Invest in tight-fitting lids for your trash cans.
- After your pets finish feeding, clean out their food and water bowls.
- Store leftover food inside airtight containers.
- Reduce clutter around your home and keep it as clean as possible.
The Easiest Way To Handle Roaches
Keeping up with cockroach prevention is difficult. Getting these pests out of your home after they invade is much more challenging. If you are looking for an easy answer to roaches around your Atlanta property, do not hesitate to involve the experts at Anthem Pest Control. Our team of licensed technicians has the experience and advanced tools needed to control dangerous roaches effectively.
Contact us today to learn more about our pest control methods and schedule your home for a service visit.