There Are Tons Of Fire Ants Around My Atlanta Home
June 15, 2022
Suppose you have ever been outside, enjoying the warm summer air, and accidentally traipsed through a fire ant hill or mound and felt a multitude of rapid and aggressive stings on your feet, ankles, and legs. In that case, you understand the nightmare of the invasive fire ant. Having these tiny pests in your yard can ruin a beautiful day, so get professional pest control to ensure your yard stays fire ant-free.
Are These Fire Ants?
Atlanta is home to many different ant species, so how do you know if you are seeing fire ants? They range in size from 1/16 - 1/4 inch, and they are either completely black or have a reddish thorax and head with a black rear segment. They also have mandibles for biting and stingers that inject venom for repeatedly stinging their targets. Fire ants will build their mounds, or nests, in any soil, but they prefer open, sunny areas, including:
- Golf courses
Finding fire ant mounds in your yard is a sure sign that you have an infestation, so call Anthem Pest Control in Atlanta to get these invasive and aggressive pests under control.
What To Do If A Fire Ant Bites You
Even though most people refer to them as fire ant bites, they are technically stings, not bites. Their stings are painful, and their venom forms a white fluid-filled blister, or pustule, over the raised red welt. Fire ant stings feel like burns, and they can sting multiple times. When fire ants feel threatened, they will swarm, inflicting numerous stings. People allergic to the venom, older people, and young children will have a more severe reaction. If you are being stung, get the fire ants off your body as quickly as possible. Want to know how to treat fire ant bites? Wash the sting sites with soap and cold water, take an oral antihistamine, or apply a topical steroid ointment cream.
Five Fire Ant Prevention Tips
Fire ants in Atlanta do not belong in your yard, so here are some tips to prevent them from taking over:
- Keep Your Lawn Mowed: Even though fire ants like open areas, they also like to be hidden, and long grass is ideal. Keep a regular lawn maintenance schedule to keep your grass short.
- Maintain Your Landscaping: Besides the lawn, keep plants, bushes, and shrubs around your house trimmed. Ants will use this harborage to avoid pesticides and get into your home.
- Remove Food Sources: This includes fruit on the ground from trees, leftover scraps from eating outside, and keep lids tight on trash cans.
- Eliminate Water Buildup: Check your property for leaks, standing water, or water collecting where it shouldn’t.
- Enlist Professional Pest Services: The only way to eliminate fire ants for sure from your yard is with the expert services of Anthem Pest Control.
How to Get Rid Of Fire Ants For Good
If you’re wondering how to kill fire ants that have taken up residence in your yard, bring in professionals trained in fire ant removal. Anthem Pest Control in Atlanta is here to take care of your pest control needs with the following treatment process:
- Free Quote
- Interior Treatment
- Exterior Treatment
Anthem offers quarterly, bimonthly, or monthly VIP services with unlimited free retreatments. Call us today, and let’s get started keeping your yard and home pest-free!