Why Are Mosquitoes Drawn To My Atlanta Property?
August 15, 2021
Mosquitoes are one of the world’s deadliest animals and most common insects found in Atlanta. Mosquitoes have thin bodies, six long legs, antennae, and wings, and they live off from blood and nectar. Mosquitoes are especially drawn to warm and humid climates, making Atlanta a favorite place to dwell.
People everywhere have been snacks for these annoying bugs throughout history. Sometimes it seems as though mosquitoes are drawn to certain people over others. Studies have shown that there may be some truth to that theory.
Certain factors will make you more susceptible to being bit by mosquitoes, such as:
- Your blood type. Believe it or not, mosquitoes can tell the difference between their favorite blood type (Type O) and their least favorite (Type A).
- Pregnant women make a much tastier snack to mosquitoes.
- Darker-colored clothing attracts mosquitoes.
- Level of exercise. A person exercising will sweat more, exert more carbon dioxide, and will generate more heat. All three of these tenets of exercise will attract mosquitoes.
- Drinking alcohol. Studies have shown that mosquitoes are more likely to bite someone who has been drinking beer than to someone who has not.
- High levels of carbon dioxide. The more people in an area, the more people there are exhaling carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
The Deadliest Animals On The Planet
When you think of the deadliest animals on the planet, you might immediately think of lions or bears. It’s hard to believe that mosquitoes are even more deadly than those fearsome animals. Mosquitoes are notorious for carrying diseases and are responsible for killing more than one million people per year worldwide and infecting more than 700 million people each year with diseases such as Malaria, West Nile Virus, Zika, and Dengue Fever.
Even when mosquitoes aren’t causing disease, their bites are still quite bothersome. Mosquitoes trend toward biting in and around your hair and ears, on ankles, and behind knees, all places that are warmest on your body. Their bites can itch and swell and even feel hot to the touch.
How To Keep Your Atlanta Home Safe & Protect Your Family
While some factors, like your blood typed, might be impossible to change, there are ways to cut down on you and your family’s exposure to mosquitoes and their bites:
- Install a bat house in your yard. Bats can eat hundreds of mosquitoes in an hour.
- Don’t go out at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are more prone to be out looking for a meal.
- Wear lighter-colored clothing when spending time outdoors.
- Wear bug spray with DEET to deter mosquitoes from biting.
- Empty birdbaths regularly before mosquitoes have a chance to lay their eggs.
- Remove all standing water around your yard, including toys, garbage cans, and lids, or anything that can collect rainwater when not in use.
When It’s Time To Call In The Professionals At Anthem Pest Control
You’ve tried everything to rid your yard of mosquitoes, but these persistent insects seem to drive you back inside every time you try to spend an evening in your own backyard. It’s time to call Anthem Pest Control in Atlanta to help. Our trained mosquito control specialists will help reclaim your backyard and have you grilling with your friends again in no time. We also offer home pest control solutions for the other pests you may come across.